Sometimes, the natural growth hormone may fail to be produced in both children and adults. Lack of such a vital hormone interferes with healthy development. For proper growth and development, you need a synthetic hormone. In this case Omnitrope. Also called somatropin, this synthetic hormone has an rDNA origin, and is used in the form of injection. It works similar to a natural growth hormone.
Why use Omnitrope
This hormone is potent in treating;
• Growth failure caused by a deficiency of natural growth hormone
• Idiopathic Short Stature
• Small for Gestational Age babies
• Turner’s Syndrome
• Prader-Willi Syndrome
It is effective in managing all conditions associated with growth hormone disorders.
Before taking Omnitrope, it is essential that the doctor assesses you. Otherwise serious side effects (death included) can occur. The common side effects are;
• Numbness, pain, swelling or redness at the injection site.
• Body Weakness
• Fluid retention causing swelling
• Cold-like symptoms, e.g., stuffy nose
• Muscle and joint pains
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Nausea and vomiting
• High blood sugar and sugar in your urine
• Feeling tired
• Low thyroid hormone levels
If you develop these side effects, tell your doctor. Also, inform if you are nursing or you are pregnant.
You should not use somatropin if;
• You have illness originating from serious injuries, respiratory failure or heart, and stomach surgery injuries
• Prader-Willi syndrome Individuals who are severely overweight or have respiratory issues
• You have cancer
• You are allergic to growth hormones or the ingredients of the hormone
• You have eye problems emanating from diabetes
Note: do not use this hormone on children who have complete growth
The somatropin interacts with insulin, oral diabetes medication, steroids, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, seizure medication, and cyclosporine.
There are two significant formulations for Omnitrope. They are;
i. Liquid-formulation pen
These are precise liquid formulation in a cartridge. They are characterized by;
• Come in precise dosage, i.e., 5mg and 10mg. you can choose that which fits you
• The pens are ready to use: the hormone is already reconstituted
• High stability: the cartridge remains stable for up to 28 days after your first injection
Note: prepare the pen for use once you insert a new cartridge
ii. Lyophilized powder
The hormone comes in 5.8 mg vial. Each vial comes with bacteriostatic water (1.14ml). The water is preserved with benzyl alcohol. Use the water to prepare the solution for injection.
Expiry: once reconstituted the solution has a stability of 3 weeks.
Dosage and Administration
The dosage of Omnitrope and its administration plan is not similar in all individual. The dosage widely depends on the growth response of each patient or the conditions the condition under treatment.